Gichin Funakoshi's Training Precepts
Seek Perfection of Character
Defend the Path of Truth
Strive to Excel
Refrain from Violence
- Karate is not only dojo training.
- Don't forget that Karate begins with a bow and ends with a bow.
- In Karate, never attack first.
- Only one who practices Karate must follow the way of justice.
- First you must know yourself. Then you can know others.
- Spiritual development is paramount; technical skills are merely means to the end.
- You must release your mind.
- Misfortune comes out of laziness.
- Karate is a lifelong training.
- Put Karate into everything you do.
- Karate is like hot water. If you do not give heat constantly it will again become cold.
- Do not think you have to win. Think that you do not have to lose.
- Victory depends on your ability to tell vulnerable points from invulnerable ones.
- Move according to your opponent.
- Consider your opponent's hands and legs as you would sharp swords.
- When you leave home, think that millions of opponents are waiting for you.
- Ready position for beginners and natural position for advanced students.
- Kata is one thing. Engaging in a real fight is another.
- Do not forget (1)strength and weakness of power, (2)expansion and contraction of the body, (3)slowness and speed of techniques.
- Devise at all times.